Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday Mania!

Why do I feel like I accomplished nothing today...even though I was running most of the time? Two meetings this morning before 10 am and then 2 student appointments followed by a proofreading session for DA. I'm a terrible proofreader and so is DA so I guess she is hoping that in this case 2 poor proofreaders are better than no proofreaders (office was deserted today except for undergrad entering data). Not sure where my afternoon went? I remember reading 2 requests to substitute courses for a required course I teach and then skimming my notes before I taught my class, but the rest is a blur until my course. I was moving right along with material there until I tried to slip in the "area is probability" material in connection with the normal curve and z-scores. Suddenly I had several students who no longer saw any connection between proportion, decimal, and percentage formats of probability. They were so hung up on these elementary math conversions that they missed the whole conceptual picture I was trying to present. I love when you see the exact moment "the lightbulb turns on" and equally detest the moment when you see "the lightbulb switch off . . . and then tumble from the top of their head and shatter on the floor"--it's so evident in some students expressions.

Tomorrow is another day....I'm going to try to keep better track of time and stick closer to my 'to do' list.

No comments: