Sunday, September 25, 2005

Dear Advisor, Thank you...

for caring enough to begin your weekend day by sending a long email about the manuscript I'm working on. Now you want me to direct it to a different journal than originally planned. This one has a larger audience (and accordingly, a higher rejection rate). I am so glad that you have confidence in my work and spend your "off hours" thinking about it. Although sometimes it's a little scary when you come into my office and say "I was lying awake last night thinking about your project and I think that....."
You have worked so hard to help me become a competitive job candidate. Am I going to live up to the expectations you have of me? What if no one out there likes anything I write and hates my research? What if everyone finds errors in my analyses? What if I never generate any discussion in my field and never publish another thing?? What if I get a job and then don't make it?

Oh dear advisor, how do you deal with me everyday.....sometimes I'm a real mess. Am I going to be able to do this for my own students someday?

No comments: