Saturday, October 22, 2005

Upcoming holidays = Family = Travel = Stress

As I spoke to my family member this evening on the phone I realized that I will soon be visiting for for almost 4 WHOLE DAYS. Am I a terrible person for sort of dreading this event? I know that while I am there I will be thinking about either a) the work I could be getting done with no one else around over the holiday or b) catching up and relaxing --some quality "me" time. That sounds awful but sometimes spending time in my home town is very trying--it's hard to listen to the same gossip that has been going on for the last 20 years since I left (isn't there anything more exciting going on there?). For example, there was a murder there (Oh, my gosh!) 2 years ago that still gets press---it's that small of a town. It's not that I don't enjoy seeing my family, I do. I think its more the shock of returning there and realizing that I don't fit in there anymore--I'm the outsider. This goes without mentioning all the conversations that come about when you parents start aging and things like metamusil and laxatives are a regular topic of conversation---there are just somethings you never want your parent to share.

On the other hand there are some good things about going home---there is that one type of soup that even if I follow the recipe exactly it never tastes the same as when my mom makes it.

No comments: