Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Needs....needy....neediest!

On needs of another kind.....

I am all for helping a struggling anxious student...happens a lot in my field; however, a student who sends 9 emails in one 2 hour period is a bit excessive. Sometimes I feel like when you give a student an inch (offering help), they take a mile (expecting you to be available at their convenience). I'm sorry, but some of the 9 email questions are just not that urgent and could wait until classtime. Yes, I understand that teaching is my primary responsibility in this position but I also have to do other things...like really exciting committee meetings, eat, go to the bathroom, and research. I wish students would think before they send off a quick email. I know that most students would never dare call a professsor or talk to them in person the way they do by email. What has technology done to teaching??

No comments: