Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Plodding along

Another day done of running, running, running from one thing to the next--trying to pack a couple of boxes in my office between activities. The plague of high maintenence students continues--now that they have their rough drafts back they are filing in asking how to fix the errors. Hey, I have I idea! Why don't I just write their papers for them--that would save me a lot of time and them a lot of learning. I mean, really, would it kill them to look something up that was incorrect? And they look at me like I am the Wicked Witch of the West when I say "look it up" as a response--this is in response to questions like "You said my APA formatting of this reference is not correct. What's wrong with it?"

I have also managed to alienate completely a one time close friend today. And I am OK with that--it was just time to move on from this one. She had some unrealistic expectation of what friendship is and it was her way or the highway--so I'm on the road. Surprisingly I'm not upset about this---perhaps this had been fizzling all along and I just didn't see it. Other friends had commented that this person wasn't really being a good friend and I always stood up for her-really believing that I knew her better and was accepting of her ways. Now I see some patterns in the ups and downs of our friendship that are hard to ignore and I have now decided my best interests are not being served by trying to continually fix the friendship. I hereby declare it over and I'm good with that--although a bit disappointed.

In packing news--I have 3 kitchen cabinets and my clothes to go. Also 2 file drawers in my office--seems managable before Friday. I really want to have a day to just sit and do nothing --but I don't see any of those in the near future.

2 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Sounds like good progress on the moving. Oh, it's such a draining process. Good luck with it!

I've been trying to take a few boxes of stuff to goodwill each week in anticipation of my upcoming less-than-a-mile move. Packing is just so much work!

Psycgirl said...

Ugh, I hate APA style questions!! I feel your pain. My students are absolutely outraged when I take off points for style, so I tell them how anal I am over and over again starting on Day 1, and they still do it wrong!