Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Exam Eccentricities

I gave my first exam of the new semester yesterday.

3 students asked to borrow pencils (they were explictly told to bring them for the multiple choice section of the exam)

2 students insisted the didn't have a student ID number

1 student raised his hand to ask me what the word 'subjective' meant I teach grad students)

1 student worked on the exam for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes and then asked if there was any way she could take the exam tomorrow during my office hours--"I didn't study enough".

WTF???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I understand that right? Are these graduate students? I get the same silly things out of my flakey freshmen!

Seeking Solace said...

Grad students...Wow!

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to be the little devilish voice in your ear that would make you want to respond to them like this:
"No pencil? Well, you could borrow one from one of your classmates --- OR you could write it in blood..."
"Well let's see, objectively I can see that you don't have a dictionary, and subjectively I'd say you're a moron. Does that make the meaning clear enough?"
"Didn't study enough so you want a special favor? Ha, ha, ha, sucks to be you, doesn't it?"
And of course, you would never say those things, and we'd all like to think the most positive of things about our students, maybe all 4 were just having an off day? But it's kinda fun to think about what you might say if you wouldn't get in trouble for it!!!!
Dice_Singer

Anonymous said...

I think I would faint if a student asked for more time, if the student was an undergrad.

If the student was a grad student, I think I would laugh out loud. I honestly don't think I would be able to contain myself.

Holy Shitballs, Batman.

SuperB

Nick said...

Thaanks for this blog post