Tomorrow is a campus wide meeting--time to get out of my college and mingle. Although I don't expect to get much in the way of pertinant info at this meeting, it should provide some campus basics (hopefully). If not, there at least looks to be a good lunch planned and an evening reception (maybe with cocktails? boy do I deserve one after all the meetings I've sat through!).
What I still need to know:
- How to get a key to the building (and eventually my office)?
- How to log onto the university library system?
- How to get the computer programs I need on my office computer?
- How to get a blackboard site up and running for my courses?
- Where is my mailbox?
- Why does my computer give me an error message everytime I log on?
- Where do I make copies? Do I need a copy code?
- A million other things I can't think of yet....
What I have learned:
- I am the only new faculty member in my college who got a reduced course load as part of the deal
- My class is full (but I don't know how many students that is).
- Where my classroom is for the first day.
- The bookstore has possibly ordered the wrong book (?).
- That my office is now vacant (but still needs to be cleaned and painted)--I have chosen a lovely light shade of orange.
- Lots of other misc. things about the new U--but basically I just jotted down website to go to when I actually need some of this info.
What still needs to be finished:
- Obviously, I still need to settle into my office (maybe next week??)
- Syllabus is still not done. . .
- Need to make a to do list of research projects/presentations/ due dates, etc. Can't even remember half of what I have going right now.
- 3 remaining boxes to be unpacked at home.
All in all, even though the new semester is about to take off....the settling in to a new city stuff is finally winding down and my new house is starting to feel like home.