Monday, June 26, 2006

On Avoidance

Avoiding what? --Everything. . .

Yes, I have been avoiding my blog--10 days since last posting. I have been lurking around reading other's blogs and occasionally commenting, but completeing avoiding posting comments on my current state of existence.

Here is the update--random bullets of crap style:
  • All signs of academic work are completely gone from my daily lack of routine. I have been writing a results section now for a good 3 + weeks at the rate of about 4 sentences per week. Pathetic. I have given the analysis considerable thought and played around extensively running the computer program (always good for wasting a few hours of my day)--yet very few keystrokes have placed words on paper.
  • House stuff is moving along -inspection, repairs, setting up utilities, etc. Will be MY house in just 4 days. Certainly looking forward to visiting with Dr. Dice during my trip to close the deal.
  • Students won't go away--geez, this teaching gig would be easier without them. In the well chosen words of Seeking Solace "Students will just be students. Some are good, some are bad, and some are just plain dumb." It is this last group that really gets my undies in a bundle. One student actually complained last week that his problem was that I explained things too well and because I made it so clear in class he didn't feel the need to study because he thought he really "got it"; however when faced with the exam, he wasn't able to make the logical connections that he thought were so obvious when I talked him through it. ---Well, duh--- hence why one should review class notes, texts etc BEFORE an exam. It's your job to put it together without me there prompting you through each step.
  • Packing progress--NONE. I have now mapped out July 8 & 9 as "Power packing days" --the bulk of it must be completed that weekend as soon after that time I will be busy with end of summer semester and settled into my temporary housing until final move.
  • Money seems to be a on a steady stream out of my bank account--scary!
  • I have lost 6 lbs without even trying--one upside to being anxious. I am amazed by this feat, especially since I have eaten through 3 pints of Dove Chocolate & Brownie Affair (with the chocolate granache topping) in the last 10 days.

One thing I am not currently avoiding is social occasions. Although I tend to be a stay at home person; I have made a point to accept every social invitation--citing my need to spend some time with people before I move away. Many of my friends and co-workers are also making moves for sabbatical, internships, etc. and in some ways it is good that we are all sharing similar anxieties but also very difficult because no one is a steady calm to keep us grounded. Thank goodness for the office dog. All heed her calming force.

4 comments:

Abbey said...

Glad to see you back, even if only intermittently.

Anonymous said...

The student who blamed his bad grade on your *good* teaching is stunning. Simply stunning.

Good luck with the move! I'm sure you will find the energy when you need it.

SuperB

Seeking Solace said...

Glad to see you liked my words of wisdom!

It looks like you have enough on your plate right now. Closing on a house and moving is really tough!

And finally, Dogs rule!

sheepish said...

Hope you can take the dog with you.